Sunday, January 25, 2009

TWC Tech vs Businessman with Static IP needs

Horrible... just horrible. - High Speed Internet

Posted By: Capt. Jonno on 12/12/2007

Location: Vidor, TX

I am the IT guy at a small business. We began having Internet problems a few weeks ago. It was almost impossible to get through to tech support but I finally did and eventually got someone to say they would send a tech out 'right away'. About six hours later I called back and they informed me that they were based 'outside of the area' and that they had sent a notice to the local branch.
They then informed me that it would be 24 - 48 hours. About an hour later the local office called and set up an appointment for the next morning.

The next morning, a tech came out and checked the cable. It had a nick in it so he cut it back about three feet and re-terminated it. That seemed to take care of the problem, but I was doubtful. Sure enough, about twenty minutes later we lost connection. I called the local office and asked for a new modem 'right away'. They said they would get one out there 'asap'. When the same tech showed (he's actually a really good tech)up about three hours later, he didn't have a modem. In fact, I found out that he is not a commercial tech. He only does residential stuff, but since they were shorthanded he got the call. He went back to the office after verifying the cable was okay and brought out a new modem. Fifteen minutes later, he had it hooked up and ready to go. We had a fast connection and everything seemed fine. The only problem was that I had to switch our router to use a dynamic IP instead of a static. We can't do this because we have people dial in to our network.

So today, I called tech support and eventually found out that they hadn't set up our modem to use a static IP like they were supposed to. After talking to about four or five people, who promised I would eventually talk to the right person, I was hung up on. Now, I'm trying to call back but all I get is the popular 'all of our agents are servicing other customers'.

Talk about a real pain. Fortunately I got the 'OK' to get a T1 connection. Can't wait to get rid of cable....

No comments:

Post a Comment